This is the study that I found in October backing up the cherry juice sleep link:
To read the whole article: http://valleysleepcenter.com/the-truth-about-tart-cherry-juice-and-sleep/ The Sour Cherry Magic Potion I devised after reading this to get us all some more sleep has been incredibly successful for hundreds of others too. This is how it worked for us, but I would say as a guide:
The new study was published in the European Journal of Medicine at the end of October and shows that tart cherry juice can improve the quality of your sleep, your sleep duration, and help reduce the need for daytime napping. The research team found that adults who drank two 1 ounce servings of tart cherry juice per day experienced a demonstrable increase in sleep efficiency as well as a 39 minute increase in average sleep duration.
- To be used on 6 months plus
- It is fruit juice, so it is not harmful
- Adjust dose according to age - 5 ml twice for 6 months, 10 ml twice for 9 months, 15ml twice for 12 months plus
- Or the bigger version that I've got as we finished the other bottle in 4 days.....
- Melatonin is the master sleep hormone and we make it naturally in the body, but with jet-lag, insomnia or the pesky clock change we can get out of whack, one of the only foods that has high enough levels are Sour Cherries! And this magical drink is the bomb. It has been shown to add an HOUR of sleep to kids in the latest research! Just add this to some yoghurt with a dash of honey and whizz it up. Cherry Juice Magic - for an hour more sleep!
- Cherry Juice (above) 1 tbsp, 15 ml
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt)
- 15 ml Cherry juice, above
- 100 ml fizzy water
- Spritz of apple or orange juice
Turkey Cumin & Sweet Potato Pie2. Boost those levels of tryptophan - its's an amino acid that calms with natural sedative properties so just the job; potatoes, millet, butter beans, turkey and eggs all have high levels, so try these out: This TURKEY CUMIN & SWEET POTATO PIE is always a winner, it's on Page 150 of my book: Lizzie Loves Healthy Family Food Or a cosy one pot: My Sausage, Butterbean & Mushroom Casserole BODY SPRAY Better You Magnesium Oil Goodnight Spray 100ml 3. Magnesium - is often something we're lacking, but is a crucial mineral and especially useful when it comes to winding down as it helps the muscles relax. Foods like cashews, avocados, dates and prawns have lots, and a great one is a banana before bed, as they have magnesium, potassium and melatonin so you get the trio! I bought this oil last year and I spritz it on lower arms when we're having a tough time getting to sleep, it works really well! Better You Magnesium Oil Goodnight Spray 100ml PILLOW SPRAY Tisserand 100 ml Sweet Dreams Pillow Mist 4. Lavender - has been used as a sleep aid for centuries and studies have shown that it not only helps get your o sleep faster, it makes you sleep better AND feel more refreshed in the morning. Again, this delicious misting spray that you spritz onto the pillow before bed has been used inner house for ages and REALLY DOES WORK! Tisserand 100 ml Sweet Dreams Pillow Mist NON FOOD SLEEP TRICKS DARKNESS: These sleep masks look fabulous for those kids who just need to keep their peepers shut: 3D Super Hero Sleep Masks -Coolest Eye Masks - Most Comfortable Sleeping Mask (Batman2) OR LIGHT: I know some children just need a bit of light to keep them happy, and this night light looks like a winner: Lexibook NLJ030PJM PJ Masks Night Light The classic tips that I sometimes forget but really can make a difference when you're wrangling with lack of sleep on all fronts:
- No screens just before bed
- Dark rooms - I've used blackout binds going away always, mine sleep SO much faster
- Routine of time and story etc helps kids to get ready for sleep
- Simple but so damn crucial is the no sugar thing, and most particularly before bed, get rid of those sneaky fruity yoghurts and snack bars that just spike the sugar levels and make bed time a nightmare!