"There's Rosemary, That's for Remembrance" Ophelia in Hamlet
The dreaded time of year when there are exams looming, stress levels hit a high and as parents we can feel helpless in watching them go through this alone.
However there are some simple steps we can take adding some delicious foods to their meals, that can have a huge impact.
Increasingly studies are showing quite how massive the correlation between diet and exam results are, with some key foods proving again and again that they provide extra brain power and produce better results!
Sounds like magic but one smoothie, one snack pack, or one extra thing on your shopping list could make all the difference.
My book is packed with nutrient dense recipes perfect for brain fuel, with nutritional info alongside:
Lizzie Loves Healthy Family Food
And Shakespeare, who had all the answers all those years ago, mentions the amazing powers of rosemary oil, which has just been shown in studies, to greatly increase memory and cognitive function just by having the smell in the room. So my Diffuser is going on full blast as we get our first round of SATS next week.
- Avocados - with good fats, vitamin K and folate, these beauties are the best for memory, concentration and keeping blood sugars stable and moods even. Add one into a smoothie or serve them up with a squeeze of lemon as a snack.
- Blueberries - anthocyanin are the protective compounds that boost your brain, so grab a handful to pack them off to school with or add it into that smoothie on the big day: Berry Mint Burst
- Wild Salmon - Packed with Omega-3 fatty acids this is one of the best foods for brain powering and keep concentration levels up. Try making a batch of my fishcakes to whip out of the freezer when needed: Florentine Fish Cakes
- Pumpkin seeds (and all nuts) - Zinc is a key nutrient for brain activity plus magnesium is a great calmer A handful in a trail mix with other nuts and dried fruit is a great pot to have at hand for hungry learners, or my pesto: Immune Boost Pesto
- Broccoli - High in Vitamin K and choline, it has been shown to feed the brain and keep it firing efficiently
- Rosemary - It's been used forever to aid memory, Ancient Greeks and Shakespeare knew about it so we should get on it. Use it fresh in anything you fancy, or buy a stash of these uber luxe botanical sparkling water drinks I tried the other day that are infused with all the rosemary goodness, and therefore brain benefits:
No. 1 Rosemary Water, 750ml Sparkling, Pack of 6The highly sensitive sense of human smell sets off neurotransmitters with the aroma of rosemary (and sage) and recent studies showed pupils performed better in tests when they had been revising with rosemary smells in their room. See my ideas for diffusers below and get those rooms smelling delicious and those memories upgraded!
My diffuser is really old, but this bamboo one is great value and you can pick up a bunch of oils to set the mood in your house and calm for ever more!
InnoGear 160ml Real Bamboo Aroma Diffuser Essential Oil Diffusers Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Diffuser Humidifier Air Refresher with 7 LED Colorful Lights and Waterless automaticlly Shut-off
This is the brand that I had throughout my pregnancies and after and they are amazing strength and quality:
Tisserand Rosemary Organic Essential Oil 9 ml
But you can get a mixed starter bag including rosemary and lots of popular oils for not much more. I haven't tried these:
ArtNaturals Therapeutic-Grade Aromatherapy Essential Oil Set – Top 8 Pure of the Highest Quality Oils – Peppermint, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Sweet Orange, Lemongrass, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Frankincense – Therapeutic-Grade
Sleep is obviously another crucial part of the puzzle when going through these stressful times, so check my earlier post on Best ways to get kids to sleep better:
4 Tips to get kids to sleep better
I hope this helps and I'd love to hear what you've found works for keeping your kids sharp.
Good Luck to everyone.